Concert of Choral Music through the Ages
July 13 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
CELEBRATE! with the hugely popular ‘The New Chamber Choir’.
Conducted by Paul Hudson.
The choir will be joined by the talented young trumpet soloist Lucy Heeley.
The concert is called ‘Celebrate!’ – but just what is being celebrated is up to the audience! It could be the delights of summer in the countryside; it could be love, or sleep, or old age – there are musical celebrations of them all. Or it could just be a celebration of the wonderful variety of music from more than 500 years.
The earliest piece is a silly little song about a cricket, published in 1505. The most recent is the beautiful Quanta Qualia from Patrick Hawes’ 2011 album ‘Blue on Blue’. As well as pieces for solo trumpet, the programme will include:
- Parry’s great anthem I Was Glad (sung at every British coronation since 1902)
- An arrangement of The Beatles’ When I’m 64
- The traditional American spiritual I Wanna Die Easy
- Part of Purcell’s 1692 version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, in which the fairies attack the drunken poet
- Scott Joplin’s The Entertainer, arranged for voices
Saturday 13th July at 7.30pm.
All proceeds in aid of Friends of the Peak District.
Admission: £7.50 (concessions: £6.00).