On the Seventh of May 1924 a few people met in a house in the Western suburbs of Sheffield. Disturbed by the increasing defacement of the beauty of the Peak District by ‘incongruous and promiscuous development’, they had come together to discuss the possible formation of a society for the preservation of local scenery.
The only formal business conducted at that meeting was the discussion preceding the decision to form a society, although strong feelings were expressed against a proposed new motor road through Winnats, and it was arranged that the newly appointed Honorary Secretary should write about this to the National Trust.
Those present at the meeting were Mrs Ethel Gallimore; Mr H.B.S Gibbs; Miss Moorwoord, Rev. Martin Pope; Dr W.S. Porter (Chair); Miss Porter; Mrs Somerset; Mr G.H.B Ward, Gertrude Ward; Alan Ward and Mr W.R. White. Invited but unable to attend were Mr T. Walter Hall; Mr and Mrs Samuel Osborn, and Mr Carus Wilson. In his absence Sir Henry Hadow, the then Vice Chancellor of Sheffield University.
As well as providing the room for the meeting in her mothers house in Endcliffe Vale House, Mrs Ethel Gallimore was elected to be Honorary Secretary at the meeting.
In July the next year (1925) the society voted to call itself ‘The Sheffield Association for the protection of Local Scenery’. In December 1926 the Honorary Secretary attended the inaugural meeting of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England and, in February 1927, the Association unanimously voted to accept an invitation to become affiliated to the CPRE.
The rest, as they say, is history.
Happy Ninety-Fifth Birthday to us !!!